Chicago Government Building Injury Attorney

Chicago Government Building Injury Attorney

Lawyers Assisting With Injuries on Public Property in Illinois

When someone is injured while they are on someone else's property, they may be able to pursue compensation through a premises liability lawsuit if their injuries were caused by the property owner's negligence. However, what if the injury occurred in a government-owned building or on public property? In these cases, additional legal issues may be involved, and it is essential to work with an attorney who has a full understanding of the applicable laws.

The attorneys of Tomasik Kotin Kasserman, LLC provide dedicated representation to personal injury victims, and we can ensure that you meet your legal requirements when bringing a claim against a government entity. In addition to pursuing justice for those who have suffered injuries, we work to enhance public safety by advocating for laws and policies that will address the risks people face.

Personal Injury Claims Against Government Entities

People may suffer a wide variety of injuries when they are on government property, such as:

  • Slip and fall accidents occurring at a courthouse, post office, or public library.
  • Injuries from defective playground equipment at a public park.
  • An assault or mugging which occurred because of inadequate lighting in a public parking garage.
  • Drowning which occurred at a public swimming pool because of inadequate lifeguard training.
  • Injuries suffered by children because of improper maintenance at a public school.

The requirements for filing an injury claim against a federal, state, or local government entity are more strict than lawsuits against private individuals or organizations. In Illinois, claims against the state government are typically initiated by filing a notice with the Illinois Attorney General and the Clerk of the Court of Claims within one year after the injury occurred. This notice must provide information such as the name and address of the victim, the location where the injury occurred, the date and time of the incident, a description of the injury, and contact information of the doctor who treated the victim's injuries.

The requirements for filing a lawsuit against a local government entity are even more strict. In these cases, a personal injury claim must typically show that the injury occurred because of "willful and wanton" conduct by a government employee or entity. That is, it will be necessary to demonstrate that a local government displayed a reckless disregard for people's safety.

A personal injury lawsuit against a government entity will typically only be able to recover financial damages, such as the costs of medical treatment or the loss of income. Damages for pain and suffering are usually not available in these cases. Our attorneys can help you demonstrate the full extent of the financial harm you have suffered, ensuring that you are able to recover the full compensation you deserve.

Contact a Cook County Premises Liability Lawyer

If you have been injured while on government property, you will need to follow some specific procedures in order to pursue compensation for your damages. At TKK, we can help you understand your legal requirements in these cases while strongly advocating for you to receive the compensation that fully addresses the harm you have suffered. We are dedicated to holding negligent parties responsible for their failure to protect people's safety, and we will work to ensure that you receive the compensation that will allow you to recover from your injuries. Contact our office today by calling 312-605-8800 to set up a free consultation.

  • Badges and associations
  • Badges and associations

Call Us312-605-8800fax312-605-8808

161 North Clark Street, Suite 3050
Chicago, IL 60601

Back to Top